sirena
Prologue
When asked, I could never quite explain what it was I felt; only that I knew something about the place drew me like no other.
I had no particular ties that bound me there; nor roots that called out to my blood. I had simply fallen in love with the desolate isolation that captured my soul.
A cynic at heart, it was the ultimate irony to be so moved by feelings so ambiguous they remained unknown until now. In fact, I had no choice but to laugh derisively at myself, ridiculing the fanciful notions that drifted through my thoughts like spun cobwebs adorning an old ceiling.
Everything about the land called out to me. From the craggy cliffs that rose high above the sea— nearly touching the expanse of azure sky, to the jagged rocks jutting upwards, rising above the white-capped waves like savage beasts.
I snorted softly, the sound drowned out by the crashing surf. They would be docking soon which was good, as clear eyes scanned the shadowed horizon and watched the wind chase storm clouds towards the island.
“Ser, malapit na ho tayo. Pahawak na lang ng mahigpit, medyo maalon na po.”
“Ah, ganu’n ba? Sige, salamat.” I murmured in reply.
Sure enough, as though in response to the boatman’s warning, the tiny banca started pitching jerkily left and right. Grabbing hastily onto a nearby post, my callused fingers skimmed over the dulled edges and notches in the faded wood.
I wondered briefly at the stories those nicks and gouges had to tell. No doubt they were colorful as mine were dark.
I remained quiet for the remainder of the trip, silently contemplating the things that needed to be done, and possibly to find the reason why I found myself back in this place that I had sworn never to return to again; as the mainland ghosted into view.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home